Friday, January 8, 2010

Winter by William Shakespeare
The speaker is a family member who is likely to be the most respected out of the family. His occasion for writing this poem confirms his dislike of winter and the purpose of it allows the reader to be empathetic and feel the hardships he goes through during this season. The literary devices shown in this poem is irony:
Then nightly sings the staring owl,
"Tu-whit, tu-who!"
A merry note (6-8)
The word merry stands out because the rest of the poem is contains very negative content. Another device is the use of paradox as shown in the quote above as well. Stating what the owl hoots is a use of onomatopoeia. After reading this poem I felt disdained towards winter which I believe Shakespeare was trying the achieve.

1 comment:

  1. Your comments are very suggestive, and perhaps insightful, but not very developed. They are only loosely connected.

    I am interested in your characterization of the speaker as "the most respected out of the family." What makes you think so?

    I'm glad to see you identifying the paradox, the irony, and the disdainful tone. What is the significance of these devices?

    ReplyDelete